Monday, February 2, 2009

Student Sues School District for Banning Anti-War T-Shirt

Maybe I wrote it down wrong, but page 672 is just an intro to the chapter, so I read the first actual essay on 674.
This would be a tricky situation to handle. In the end I’d have to say that the kid could wear the shirt, even though it is hard to believe that there wasn’t any negative reaction from the president being called a terrorist. I have heard so many things said about presidents at school though, so maybe we’re all numbed to it. But if students can speak openly in schools about how they feel about politicians, why couldn’t they wear a shirt?
I think I would fight the confederate flag shirts more than someone having a harsh opinion about a president. (I hate politics though, and think that most kids my age are just filled with the bull that the media is feeding them—therefore they think they’re so smart but really they’re just talking to talk. So they tend to exaggerate. Not all of course, some people know their politics.) I really can’t believe the confederate flag wasn’t banned. That is very offensive. If schools must allow that, then they obviously would have to also allow a political slam. That is much of what politics seem to be anymore.
Keynes points out, “Administrators did not have a right to send Barber home...because legal precedent only permits schools to discipline students who are violation a written rule, and the Dearborn district does not have a policy banning political speech”. Well there you go, case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment